Monday, July 22, 2013

Let Her Eat Cake

My aunt visited this past week and, as usual, my mom made a huge dinner with dessert (actually I think my youngest sister, Caroline, made the dessert); carrot cake. Our 4-person Lewis group headed over to their house for dinner and left over dessert a couple of days later. Lorelai was excited to have more cake.
Her Aunt Hannah cut a slice and let her carry it on a little plate back to the familyroom. She dropped the fork and looked down on the floor to find it and the slice of cake slid off the plate and plopped on the floor as well. Their dachshund lunged for the cake, but Hannah stopped him...and then stepped on the fork. She then reacted, and limped away from the cake. Their beagle then saw the window of opportunity and swooped in to eat the cake off the floor.

While this all unraveled in 20 seconds, I looked up at Lorelai. She just stood there, clutching her little plate by her chest, watching the craziness play out in front of her. Once her little brain quickly processed the events, she looked up at me and simply uttered in a soft, concerned voice: "My cake...."

Love, love, LOVE her. ♥


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment